Since 1 in 4 women will experience an abortion by the time they’re 45, chances are you or a woman you know has had an abortion. Often, the symptoms following an abortion are not extreme. Women go on with their lives. But something lingers under the surface … a pain … a sadness…It may have happened a long time ago … or it may have happened recently.
Many women describe the following reactions to an abortion loss:
- anger – toward yourself or others involved in the decision
- difficulty sleeping
- nightmares or flashbacks
- self-destructive behaviors
- preoccupation with fertility issues
- avoidance behavior: avoiding anything to do with babies, abortion, etc.
- bonding issues with existing children
- trust issues with your spouse or partner
- feelings of isolation, that you’re the only one
- shame – the need to keep the abortion a secret
“I had a desperate need to come out of hiding and be free. I carried around for so many years an incredible, paralyzing amount of anger and fear.”
“I never talked to anyone about my abortion. Now I’m wondering if it has impacted my marriage.”
Are you or a woman you know experiencing any of these symptoms? We are here to listen and it can help to talk about your experience. There is no commitment and all of our services are free.
There is hope. There is healing.
Please call or text us at 630.599.0043. All calls and texts are kept confidential for post abortion care and support for women.