Do You Have a Secret?
Have you ever experienced something so painful that you didn’t want to tell anyone else about it so you kept it a secret? Maybe you hid this experience because there was something about it that made you feel embarrassed or, perhaps, caused you some guilt. If you have felt this way, did you feel like you just HAD to tell someone else about it? What happened when you did?
If you feel the need to share your story with someone else, especially when it’s a sensitive topic like abortion, it may be worthwhile to think about this encounter before it takes place. Here are some questions you may want to ask yourself before going ahead and telling your secret.
Questions to Ask Before Telling Your Secret
- What is my motive for talking to this person?
- What is the probable benefit to me?
- What is the probable benefit to the other person?
- What do I want to get from this encounter and am I likely to get it?
- Do I feel emotionally ready to tell my secret?
- What is the best or worst response I could expect?
- Can I trust this person?
- Is this person emotionally mature to handle this story?
- Will this person share my story with others and use this knowledge against me?
When You are Ready to Tell Your Secret
After processing through these questions and feeling prepared to go ahead and tell someone, it can be helpful to mention to the person who will hear your secret what you need from him/her before telling your story. For example, you could say, “I’m going to tell you something and this is what I need from you after I tell you. I need you to listen to my story and respond without being judgmental.”
Although you can never completely know how someone will react to the news, preparing yourself beforehand can help.
There is Help After Abortion
The Restore After Abortion Program provides a safe, caring, and nonjudgmental environment for teenagers and adults to share their abortion story. Our program is tailored to meet your needs and help you on your journey to healing after experiencing abortion. Call or text us today at 630-599-0043.