Since 1 in 3 women will experience an abortion by the time they’re 45, chances are you or a woman you know has had an abortion. Often, the symptoms following an abortion are not extreme. Women go on with their lives. But something lingers under the surface … a pain … a sadness…It may have happened a long time ago … or it may have happened recently.
Many women describe the following reactions to an abortion loss:
- anger – toward yourself or others involved in the decision
- difficulty sleeping
- nightmares or flashbacks
- self-destructive behaviors
- preoccupation with fertility issues
- avoidance behavior: avoiding anything to do with babies, abortion, etc.
- bonding issues with existing children
- trust issues with your spouse or partner
- feelings of isolation, that you’re the only one
- shame – the need to keep the abortion a secret
“I had a desperate need to come out of hiding and be free. I carried around for so many years an incredible, paralyzing amount of anger and fear.”
“I never talked to anyone about my abortion. Now I’m wondering if it has impacted my marriage.”
Are you or a woman you know experiencing any of these symptoms? Sometimes it helps to talk. We care.
There’s hope, there’s healing
All are calls confidential for post abortion care and post abortion support for women